March 21, 2008

Happy Surprises!

Since the publication of AS IF BEING 12 3/4 ISN'T BAD ENOUGH, MY MOTHER IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT!, I've gotten many happy surprises.

I was happily surprised when Children’s Book World in Haverford, PA picked my novel as their staff pick and wrote: "Fabulous middle-grade novel about an awkward spelling-bee champ whose governor mother is running for the Democratic nomination. Timely, funny and written in a great voice."

Jean Westmoore’s review in the Buffalo News made my day. “This entertaining novel offers believable middle school situations, a riproaring finale and a funny, memorable heroine.”

And twice this week, neighbors stopped by to tell me they read and enjoyed my book, and one was a retired police officer!

Janeen Mason created this fabulous, scrabbulous greeting card in honor of my Scrabble-loving character, Vanessa:


Janeen’s artwork is full of bright color, like her personality.

And my long-time friend, Jeanne --




whose name is mentioned in my book, disguised as the name of as Vanessa’s favorite restaurant: Hurricane Jeanne’s – sent me this yesterday . . .



Mrs. Perez’s Lemon Squares! And a card full of sweet, funny references to my book. Thank you, Jeanne!

And thank you to those who have given me so many happy surprises since my book’s release!

May your days be full of happy surprises, too!

Hugs,
Donna

2 comments:

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Yay, Donna! That's so awesome. Congratulations. Mmmm...lemon squares...

Oops. I ate too much Easter Ham--no more room!

Wild About Words said...

Dear Ghost Girl,

Thanks for the comment. I, too, overate on Easter thanks to a good friend who is a great cook.

I really enjoyed your blog. And LOVE that ring Hubby so wisely got you.

Happy Scribbling,
Donna