June 17, 2008

A Literary Adventure

Just got back from a trip to New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

In New York, hubby, oldest son and I enjoyed the sights and sounds of the city while youngest son went to a friend’s graduation. During our visit, I enjoyed a lovely lunch with my agent and editor. One of the three of us ate octopus and wore blue toenail polish. Hint: It wasn’t me!

Then it was off to Books of Wonder. I’d always wanted to visit this independent children’s bookstore. And there it was – loaded with shelves of brand new books and cases of really old books as well. But the best part of the space might have been Cupcake Café. Hubby and I thought they were the best cupcakes ever. But don’t ask our son’s opinion; he ordered ice cream!

New York must have been inspiring. On the train ride home, I came up with an idea for my next book.

A few days later, hubby and I made a quick trip to Princeton, New Jersey while my sainted in-laws watched our boys.

We wandered around campus, admiring the architecture of the old buildings and wishing we were young enough (and smart enough) to go to Princeton University.

Hubby and I spent nearly two hours in Labyrinth Books. Lots of children’s titles I wasn’t familiar with. Lots of good sale books. Let’s just say we did our part to support independent bookstores that day.

A few streets over was Jazams -- half toy store, half children’s book store. Entirely fun.

The public library astounded me. A three-story glass structure, it sported both a gift shop and café on the ground floor. And a huge children’s and separate teen section on the third floor. An aquarium added to the charm.

While in the Philadelphia area, we stopped into Newtown Book Store. I was delighted to discover my novel was chosen as one of the summer reading book club choices. Twenty-one copies were stacked in a special display.

At Children’s Book World in Haverford, my book was chosen as a staff pick. Owner Hannah Schwartz has been fostering a great relationship with schools and the community for over seventeen years. And Sarah, one of the employees, did such a great job of book talking several titles that we left with bags full.

Even though the book stores and libraries were great fun, the best part of our visit was spending time with brothers and sisters, cousins, nieces and nephews, aunts, uncles, Pop-Pop and friends. We squeezed in lots of games, meals and laughter.

Now, I’m looking forward to the time and space to work on my new book. And perhaps, to making a dent in the ever-growing stack of books beside my bed.

Happy summertime,

Donna

2 comments:

The Suprans said...

Welcome home! It sounds like a really fun trip. How exciting to find your book on a summer reading list!

Wild About Words said...

Thanks! What's happening with you? What's your due date? We're so excited!