August 26, 2008

Democratic National Convention

My first thought when I tuned into the Democratic National Convention last night and saw the giant screens and screaming delegates was, “That’s the climactic scene from my novel.” It felt like I was watching a scene from my book.

Three things from the convention made a big impression on me:

1. It was delightful to see the tribute to Jimmy Carter. Hubby and I are big fans of all the good work he's done and continues to do. I named one of the characters in my novel Carter – a blue, stuffed toy donkey that Vanessa keeps in bed with her and sometimes talks to.

You can watch the tribute to Jimmy Carter here:



2. I was deeply moved by Edward Kennedy’s passionate speech. Caroline Kennedy did a wonderful job introducing him. When Edward Kennedy took the podium, I couldn’t believe how good he looked for a man undergoing treatment for a malignant brain tumor. He vowed to be on the Senate floor during Barack’s inauguration in January. And he concluded his speech with the same urgent message he’s been saying for decades: Health care coverage should be a right for every citizen, not a privilege.

You can watch his speech here:



During the speech, you’ll notice Maria Shriver in the audience, wiping tears from her eyes. She’s such a cool lady. I sent her youngest son a copy of my book because a fictional version of Arnold Schwarzenegger appears in it. In fact, I sent copies of my novel to many people. Two of those people sent thank you letters. Maria Shriver was one of them. (I’ll reveal the identity of the other person in tomorrow’s blog.) Here’s a photo of the letter Maria Shriver sent:

It says, "Dear Donna, Thank you so much for taking the time to send a copy of your book, As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running For President. I appreciate your very kind words and thoughtful gesture. Again, thank you! Best, Maria Shriver"


3. My favorite moment during the convention occurred when Sasha Obama, Barack’s youngest daughter was given the mircrophone. When Obama introduced his host family – The Girardeaus – Sasha yelled, “Hello, Girardeau family!” You can watch the girls take the stage with Michelle Obama here:



A young fan sent a couple e-mails through my Web site. Most recently, she asked if I answer my own fan mail. With her permission, I’m including her original e-mail:

Dear Donna Gephart,
I love love love "As if Being 12 3/4 isn't Bad Enough, my Mother is Running for President!" I think Vanessa is a great character, and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out who the threat notes were from. I think you're a great person, and I want to be an author when I grow up. I can't wait for your next book!!
From C. B.

p.s. I love Scrabble.

Thank you, C.B. Good luck with your creative writing. And yes, I do answer my own fan letters because, well, Brad Pitt hasn’t applied for the job yet.

Have an inspired day,

Donna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very "conventional" week at the Gephardt house. I haven't had the chance to catch much of the action. Thanks for the links!

Wild About Words said...

Things here are anything but conventional. Thanks for stopping by!
Donna