(Thanks to those Facebookians who contributed their favorite first lines.)
CAN YOU NAME THAT BOOK?
1. "Where's papa going with that ax?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table for breakfast. (submitted by Rebecca Puglisi and Helen Aitken)
2. "Today I moved to a twelve-acre rock covered with cement, topped with bird turd and surrounded by water." (submitted by Dawn Malone)
3. "It was a dark and stormy night." (submitted by Heidi Estrin)
4. "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." (Submitted by Herb Levine.)
5. ” If you happen to go to school just outside London, you might find yourself sitting next to a girl called Bindi." (submitted by Littlepinkstars Reads)
6. "I am on my mountain in a tree home that people have passed without ever knowing that I am here." (submitted by Paul May)
7. "Zeke's tree wouldn't speak to him." (submitted by Cheri Williams)
To check your answers, read the first comment. And feel free to share YOUR favorite first lines in the comment section.
1. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
2. Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
3. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
4. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Narnia) by C.S. Lewis
5. The Fairy Rebel by Lynne Reid Banks
6. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
7. The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel
1. She scowled at her glass of orange juice. To think that she had been delighted when she first arrived here--was it only three months ago?--with the prospect of fresh orange juice every day. (The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley.)
2. The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. (Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt.)
3. When my brother Fish turned thirteen, we moved to the deepest part of inland because of the hurricane and, of course, because he'd caused it. (Savvy, by Ingrid Law)
Rose, those are wonderful first lines. I find myself rereading the beginning of Tuck Everlasting from time to time because it's so delicious.
"I have been accused of being anal retentive, an overachiever, and a compulsive perfectionist, like those are bad things."
--Millicent Min, Girl Genius
Yes, Gail. Thanks for adding Lisa Yee's most wonderful first line. It's a true gem!
Post a Comment