February 8, 2010

A Delightful E-mail

E-mails from my Web site are often from young readers or someone inviting me to speak at a school, library, book festival or conference. I love getting e-mails from my Web site.

Yesterday, I got an e-mail from a young reader that really made me smile. It reminded me that when we send a book into the world, we never know how it might affect someone.

AS IF BEING 12 3/4 . . . is about Vanessa's practice/panic as she progresses through her school spelling bee, county spelling bee, etc. I had hoped my book would land in the hands of spelling bee enthusiasts. And in this case, it has.

"I just wanted to let you know I read your book and absolutely loved it. I went to the National Spelling Bee last year and had so much fun. I got pfeffernuss, the word Vanessa misses in your book, at my Regional Spelling Bee! Thanks to your book, I knew the word and went on to win.It really inspired me to study hard."

A big THANKS to that young reader for her delightful e-mail. And a wish for much success in the bee. Study hard and let me know how you do.

4 comments:

Paul R. May said...

Now that is WAY cool!!

Anonymous said...

What a great letter. I'm so glad that she found your book. And now I will always remember how to spell
pfeffernuss! (Of course, I don't know how to pronounce it).

Dan

Jill said...

Wow! That is soooo pfeffernussy!

What are the chances?

Wild About Words said...

Thanks, all. By the way, pfeffernuss is a type of cookie . . . just in case it ever comes up.