February 4, 2010

What's a Nice Line Like You Doing in a Book Like This?

Sometimes, a line in a book I'm reading will bonk me over the head and demand to be read a few more times.

Is there a line in a book you've read that bonked you over the head?

For me in Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli it was this funny line on page 208: "There's nothing sadder than a sobbing waffle." (Regarding a girl dressed like a waffle for Halloween.)

In The Kid by Dan Savage, every line is funny or poignant or thought-provoking; sometimes all three. I'm really enjoying the ride and look forward to reading Savage's other books.

I'm looking forward to all the meaningful lines in The Wisdom of Wilderness (Experiencing the Healing Power of Nature) by Gerald G. May, given to me by my friend, Paul. I've been saving this one to savor; I have a feeling it's going to be a very special book.

So, what's your favorite line from a book you're reading . . . or writing?

2 comments:

Vonna said...

I'm reading Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble. I like this line that describes a dawning suspicion:

"Still, an uneasiness-- the same tiny shiver of concern I'd felt a few seconds ago-- slips its way up my spine and burrows in."

Nice.

Wild About Words said...

Vonna, that's a FABULOUS line. Thanks for sharing. Ah, to be able to write like that!