February 2, 2010

You Don't Say . . .

A few quotes from creators of literature and art for children:


"You don't have to suffer to be a poet. Adolescence is enough suffering for anyone." -- John Ciardi


"I like the idea that magic can be hidden under the surface of everyday life." -- Trina Schart Hyman


"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." -- Karen Cushman


"A good picture book begins with delight, ends with wisdom, humor, warmth, or love, and means more than it says." -- Barbara Williams


"The longer you put off getting serious about writing, the longer you put off success. Procrastination is a writer's biggest enemy." -- Barbara Seuling


"I tell kids to read like a wolf eats." -- Gary Paulsen


"Possibly the greatest role a book can play in the lives of young readers is to assure them that they aren't alone." -- Richard Peck


That last one, my friends, is why I read as a child. And it's why I write for children today.



1 comment:

Jill said...

Great quotes! Thanks!