Since I sold my first bit of writing -- cryptogram puzzles for $1.50 a piece -- when I was twenty and sold my first novel when I was forty, I can attest to that!
It's a long journey, but a fun one if you love what you do. And it's even more fun when we help each other along the way.
Here are some excellent resources for information, inspiration and a warm, welcoming community:
For Industry News:
- Cynthia Leitich Smith's blog CYNSATIONS. You'll learn much about what's happening in the industry as well as have opportunities to win books.
- Nathan Bransford's BLOG gives tips and hints about successful queries as well as poses questions about all things publishing.
- Arthur A. Levine just started a BLOG with an interesting discussion going on right now.
For Agent Info:
- Verla Kay's MESSAGE BOARD offers a wealth of information about agents and everything else! It's a vibrant and generous community.
- Casey L. McCormick has a series of interviews with agents as well as other links and info. Check out the Q & A she did with my agent, TINA WEXLER from ICM.
- MIKE JUNG talks about signing with an agent after much patience and persistence.
- STEPHANIE J. BLAKE signed her first book contract after years of close calls.
- ROBIN MELLOM, a third of the Disco Mermaids, talks about the sweet deal negotiated by her agent, JILL CORCORAN, after a long road of writing, revision and rejection.
It happened to them. It happened to me (after half a dozen rejected and UNpublished novels that are sitting in a drawer). It can happen to you!
If you know of any other resources for writers and/or illustrators, please share in the comment section. And if you have any good news, please share that, too!