July 30, 2010

Here's a Story . . .

Hubby and I've wanted to go to Austin, TX for years. We'd love to enjoy their music and literary scene. I'm talking to you, BookPeople!

So, this past Christmas/Hannukah, I decided it was time to stop wanting. For hubby's gift, I wrapped up a certificate. "Good for one trip to Austin, TX."

But Hubby's work/travel schedule kept us from going this summer, and it looked like Austin got shoved to the back burner. Again.

Then one evening, I went on the Whole Foods Market site to look up store hours. What jumped out at me was a contest. In 300 words or fewer, write why you love Whole Foods. (We LOVE Whole Foods. Used to drive nearly an hour to get there before they opened one nearby.)

The top 30 entries (judged on creativity, relevance to theme, etc.) would win a trip to the city where Whole Foods began 30 years ago.

Can you see where this is going?

Each winner gets to travel with a guest for a weekend to AUSTIN, TX.

I got busy scribbling all the reasons we love Whole Foods, then researched the company's history, then wrote a submission to the tune of The Brady Bunch theme song. "Here's a story of a store named Whole Foods . . ."

I won't post my entry because, while it was heartfelt, it was also dreadfully off meter. But I submitted it just before the deadline and then waited . . . and waited . . . and . . . waited.

The date for choosing a winner came and went. Days passed. No phone call. No letter.

"I guess we didn't win," hubby said one night at dinner.

"I guess not," I said.

Then, after returning late from a writer's meeting, there was an e-mail waiting for me. It said, "Congratulations! You've won the Whole Foods Market trip to Austin, TX . . ."

I read through the e-mail a bazillion times to make sure it was genuine. It was!

There was jumping. There was dancing. There was screaming. And that was just the dogs!

Hubby and I are heading to Austin, TX thanks to something I wrote.

Reason # 3,825,694 why I love what I do -- you never know where it might take you.

Thank you, Whole Foods! Can't wait to celebrate your 30th birthday with you in Austin, TX!

8 comments:

Debby G said...

That's so cool!

Wild About Words said...

Thanks, Debby!

Paul R. May said...

Awesome!!
(and I love Whole Foods... commonly referred to as "Whole Paycheck...")

JKW said...

Congratulations, I love Austin, was even accepted at UT but decided not to go - long story. Whole Foods is too big and expensive, I shop Fresh Market and Love every minute of grocery shopping - for me to say that, it is a miracle. I will be going to San Antonio in Nov. so far no other city in TX appeals!! Of course you won, I know how good you are ;) Have a great time, looking forward to a full report when you get back. Go see UT campus, amazing!!!

Wild About Words said...

Thanks, Paul and JWK!

Varian Johnson said...

Donna! Let us know when you're planning to visit!

Wild About Words said...

Will do, Varian. I'd love to get a chance to see you again while we're in.

pamela said...

so cool, you can't lose girl. safe travels home