March 16, 2011

And in the Beginning . . .

Beginnings are hard for me.

I fidget. I make a cup of tea . . . or twelve. I absolutely must take the dog for a walk. In fact, cleaning the toilets can often seem more appealing than staying put and putting pen to paper.

I don't know why. Once I'm in the story world, you can't keep me away. Cleaning, paying bills and speaking to my children often gets neglected.

But, oh, those pesky beginnings.

After a few false starts, I think I finally hooked onto the beginning of my new novel. I'm excited. I'm energized. I'm hopeful that I can sustain those feelings and create a whole new book.

For now, to celebrate beginnings, I'll share some of my favorite book beginnings . . .




"There is no lake at Camp Green Lake." -- Louis Sachar




"I was born with water on the brain." -- Sherman Alexie




"I was supposed to play the piano." -- Linda Urban





"That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me." -- Gail Carson Levine




"Sybil Davison has a genius I.Q. and has been laid by at least six different guys." -- Judy Blume


What are YOUR favorite book beginnings?

No comments: