March 9, 2011

SIX SCHOOLS, FIVE STATES AND ONE PAIR OF BUNNY SLIPPERS

Did you know it's World Read Aloud Day?

If you follow Kate Messner's blog, you did.

Thanks to Kate Messner and the miracle of Skype, I was able to meet with students from SIX different schools in FIVE different states (New York, Illinois twice, Ohio, North Carolina and Iowa).

We shared a lot of laughs. I showed the students some books I loved when I was their age, shared some behind-the-scenes stuff about my books and, of course, showed Hammy the Hamster and my rubber chicken necklace. Then I, um, READ because if you're not paying attention, it's World Read Aloud Day.

Here are the awesome kids from Oak Brook, IL . . .



And the students from Ohio made signs with pictures of my books on them, and at the end, several students held up letters that spelled out, "T-h-a-n-k Y-o-u!" Let me tell you, spelling-obsessed Vanessa Rothrock would have been proud. I know I was.



(Tip for authors: On the left side of my screen, I pulled up the section of my novel on Word so I could read without looking away at a book in my hands.)

It was super fun to read aloud and visit with so many students from so many states. The best part was that I didn't leave a single carbon footprint on the planet because I did it all from my home office.

Of course, I may have made bunny footprints because while it appeared that I was dressed in businesslike attire, down below, I was wearing these . . .




Thanks so much to Kate Messner for organizing this and the FANTABULOUS teachers and librarians who invited me to visit virtually with your WONDERFUL students!

3 comments:

akgal68 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I cannot thank you enough for visiting with my class today. You helped make World Read Aloud Day an over the top special day!! My students were charmed by you and loved getting the chance to connect with you. Thank you for your generosity!

-Donna Kouri

Wild About Words said...

Thank YOU! Believe me, it was my pleasure to spend time with you and your students. Only wish it could have been longer.