March 13, 2012

SHE'S HERE . . .

HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY, OLIVIA BEAN, TRIVIA QUEEN!

Crystal, rockin' a pair of red sunglasses.
To read Ken Jennings' (Jeopardy! champ) quote about Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen or to get a FREE reader's guide or to challenge yourself with some fun trivia, click HERE, then hit the Olivia Bean tab.

Two years ago, when How to Survive Middle School came out, I was up to my eyeballs in work and dressed like a homeless person when two friends arrived with amazing surprises.  Read about it here.  

This year, I worked like crazy the weeks leading up to today, so I could enjoy the day.  It's not every day your book lands on bookstore shelves across the country!


My talented author friend Maria Padian reminded me yesterday of the brilliant chapter in Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird, where she talks about publication.  I re-read it last night.  (By the way, Maria's gripping, glorious book JERSEY TOMATOES ARE THE BEST is also celebrating a book birthday today -- the paperback release.  If you haven't read it yet, treat yourself!)

So, what happens when a book is released?

Nothing.

That's right.  Absolutely nothing.  There are no parades, fireworks or marching bands to mark the day.  

Unless . . .

You have the most wonderful friends and family!

Two years ago, this is how I celebrated my book's release.

Today, my dear friend, Sandra, stopped by to deliver these . . .


Sandra owns a local music school, Jupiter Academy of Music.  She's forever doing wonderful things for the community, including creating the Grace Notes Foundation, to provide music education for children who can't afford it.  Love that lady!

Sandra Baran

Later, my friend Holly and I are having a quiet lunch to celebrate my book's birthday and her actual birthday.  Then hubby is taking me and the boys out for a fun dinner.  Can't wait! 

So, I'm going to enjoy my book's birthday for the same reason I enjoy every day -- my wonderful friends and family.  

Thank you!

With love,
Donna (and Olivia)

Update:

And from my wonderful friend, Holly:  Lunch out and these carrot cupcakes with citrus cream cheese frosting and a specially designed Olivia Bean card . . .


When I came home, I found these waiting for me . . .


Thank you, uber-amazing agent, Tina Wexler!  Olivia LOVES her birthday balloons!

I'm having more fun today celebrating Olivia's book birthday than I have celebrating my own birthdays!  Thanks so much for all the cards, gifts, kind words, hugs, emails, etc.  You sure know how to make a girl feel special!

Hubby and sons just took me out to Howley's -- a fun diner in West Palm Beach.


And gave me this Jeopardy! card . . .


What is "Woohoo?"

So, what's the plan for tomorrow? 

Writing.

And our son's winter sports banquet.  Woohoo!

6 comments:

lee wardlaw said...

...and she's beautiful and brainy! Congratulations, Donna! A Book Birthday is The. Best. Here's to continued success! You've earned it. Hugs, Lee

Kathy Rupff said...

Congratulations, Donna!! You are an amazing person and an inspiration to me! Enjoy every moment!
Kathy

Katie L. Carroll said...

Yay, Donna! Glad to hear you're living it up today!

Wild About Words said...

Thanks so much for the VERY generous comments. Olivia and I truly appreciate them!

2sailors said...

Am proud to say I "knew you when." Wishing Olivia a very happy birthday and looking forward to the next chapter.

Angela Ackerman said...

Huge congrats! So happy for you!

Angela